Monday, April 21, 2008

Drinking Daddy


Drinking Daddy, originally uploaded by artist_charleentouchette.

Appalling child abuse and infant mortality rates now are double the rest of the state in my hometown Woonsocket, Rhode Island. I told my own story of growing up with child abuse and domestic violence in Woonsocket in the mid-50s and 60s. I was called a liar and my book was banned at the Woonsocket Harris Public Library in the fall of 2005. It horrifies me that child abuse is so rampant and increasing yearly in my hometown, but most people are still in denial and pretend children are safe.
Secrecy protects abusers.When the Woonsocket Harris Public Library banned my book, the Woonsocket and Rhode Island media didn't cover the book ban even when the ALA and RI ACLU protested and made the library to return it to circulation.When people silence those who tell about child abuse, they allow it to increase and put more children at risk. Child abuse and infant mortality have doubled in Woonsocket, the second highest rates in the state. It must stop with you and me. Act everyday to help children be safe. Charleen Touchette Author of "It Stops with Me"
Watch this video and speak out against child abuse।

No comments: